Wednesday, March 21, 2018

This is my life......

Grief blisters like third-degree burns, trying to form scabs, struggling to heal, ripped off without warning by the sight of his favorite things:  iced tea, his gray sweater which he should have gotten rid of a long time ago but was his favorite, his favorite cologne still clings to the air.  I see him in all of these things now, but he quickly evaporates, setting off a silent alarm that plays full volume in my head.

A single moment in time divided my life into before the after.  I most remember just feeling numb to the bone.  I didn’t even stay in the bathroom with him.  I touched his face, so blue – so cold, and all I could manage to say was “Oh Charlie….” and then I walked out and told my husband, who was already talking to 911 that we was dead.

At first, his death leveled me in such profound ways I wondered if I could ever feel human or sane again.  The loss of my baby boy, my heart, transported me to the ends of the earth and then dropped me into an abyss of unimaginable proportions.  You are dropped into a foreign country filled with darkness, cavernous landmines, silence and solitude.  You crash land there, exiting the world as you once knew it – now stark naked, without a passport, luggage, any sort of itinerary or knowledge of what to do or how to act.  In that precise moment, it felt like a one-way ticket to hell with no way out.

I remember thinking – “I want my life back.”

And then telling myself  “this IS your life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment